Milan, Italy

      Galleria Vittorio Emauele II -- First built in 1878 and named in honor of Italy's first monarch, this glass-roofed, marble-floored pedestrian arcade cries MILANO with proud fanfare, and deservedly wins the envy of urban architects from the world over.  Much of the edifice was heavily bombed during WWII and rebuilt since 1943. 

Despite what could easily pass as the most glamorous shopping center in the world, the collection of retail businesses here is rather, well, pedestrian -- from fashion boutiques and jewelers to bookstores, souvenir shops, a pizzeria, hair salon and McDonald's.

This photo was taken with the Canon Pro70 digital camera.

Northern Italy 2000

bulletPrevious Page: Cathedral of Milan, Italy
bulletNext Page: Campo dei Miracoli at Pisa, Italy
  

   
1999-2010 by Charles Weng. Do not copy or download any content from this web site without permission. To contact the author, please write to inquiry@c-weng.com and include the word c-weng.com in a concise subject line.